Back in January, news broke that an American concert promoter and his son had been kidnapped in Africa, allegedly due to Nas‘ failure to perform at a highly anticipated and heavily promoted New Year’s show. Nas had been tight-lipped about the situation until Wednesday (March 28), when he appeared on MTV’s RapFix Live and discussed the situation with Sway.
Patrick Allocco, the 51-year-old CEO of New Jersey-based AllGood Concerts, claimed that goons hired by one Henrique “Riquhino” Miguel had abducted him and his 22-year-old son, who works for him, at gunpoint because Miguel wanted to be repaid the $300,000 (£188,790) he’d spent on the show and planned on holding Allocco for ransom. Allocco claimed that Nas and Jemiah Jai, the other act booked for the cancelled New Year’s show, had been paid $315,000 to perform and felt they should be the ones to pay the debt, effectively blaming them for the kidnapping.
During his talk with Sway on Wednesday, Nas finally shared his take on what happened.
“The business wasn’t handled. There was nothing sent to me, and there were no flights,” he said. “By the time he did send money — he did eventually send money to me, but it was too late to go. I didn’t even have a visa to get in the country. So that’s canceled, the show’s canceled.”
Nas would later add, “When people take care of business, it happens. … You booked the flight but no return flight. I didn’t have a visa, and you didn’t send money till after I was supposed to jump on the plane to another country, and that’s just the way it went down.”
Nas also said of Allocco, “he threw me under the bus.”
After being informed of Nas’ version of the story, Allocco, who was eventually freed after the U.S. Embassy stepped in, told MTV News that “nothing could be further from the truth. Nas put us in harm’s way by not showing up and put my son and I at physical harm and at risk by his inaction to fly to Angola.”
As for the money Nas admitted to receiving for the failed concert, Allocco told the New Jersey Star-Ledger the MC had wired $200,000 to Allocco’s attorney but was “reneging” on the remaining $100,000.
Obviously, this situation was a very ugly one and seems to be ongoing. Fortunately, though, the worst is over as Allocco and his son have been home since mid-February.
Check out a clip of Nas speaking on the situation below. For the full episode, visit the RapFix site.